Friday 18 June 2021

My Review of The Whisking Well Cake Shop (Probably My 1st and Last Purchase)

Being an entrepreneur myself, I tend to either consciously or subconsciously, want to support my fellow local entrepreneurs whenever I can.
 
So recently when I was searching to order a cake for my daughter's birthday, I chanced upon a cake shop called "The Whisking Well" which is run by two young entrepreneurs.

Their cakes look good in the website and the prices are quite on par with the other cake shops. So I decided to order a MSW Durian Burnt Cheesecake and chose self-collection 3 days later.
 
Unfortunately when I reached the shop for my collection on that day, the impression went downhill from that point.
 
Firstly, the lady handling my cake didn't bother to take it out from the box for my checking. I thought that is a norm from my experience in buying from other cake shops. Nevermind, small issue.
 
Secondly, when the lady asked me for the number of candles needed and I told her 3 small ones will do. Her reply left me bewildered.

She said and I quote: "I only have 1 candle."

This really takes the cake. Pun intended.

Back of my mind I was thinking you are running a cake shop and you have only one candle in your shop?

Either you are not a good planner or you are treating me as a fool or you are treating the next customer as a fool since I am supposedly taking your last candle.

I would have no issue if she says additional candles will be chargeable or something like that.

Anyway I leave it at such and left the shop. Not going to waste more time over two more candles.

Thirdly and not surprisingly, no cutting knife was given either. Luckily our birthday celebration is held at home so this didn't ended up to be an issue.

TLDR Summary

Taste: 6.5/10
Service: 4/10
Price: 5/10

Overall: 15.5/30

I probably would not buy from them again due to the substandard service and at the price points they are selling, there are plenty of other choices out there.

As a matter of fact, I subsequently bought another two cakes from Sinpopo and Rive Gauche. A Gula Melaka Cake and a Strawberry Shortcake respectively.
 
No complain on both be it taste-wise or service-wise. The staff at Rive Gauche even gave me an extra candle on her own initiative when I told her three small ones will suffice.

Sometimes small gestures like this can make or break a first impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment